HARDER LLP is a law firm which focuses on business litigation and strategy, with particular emphasis in media and entertainment litigation, as well as reputation protection, brand protection, privacy and intellectual property rights. The firm also specializes in business and reputation strategy, and for some clients, serves as outside general counsel.
Charles Harder has handled media, entertainment and business litigation matters throughout the United States and in 2017 was named California Lawyer of the Year in Media (winning the CLAY Award). In 2012, 2013, 2016 and 2017 he was named one of the Top 100 “Power Lawyers” in America (one of only 30 litigators) by The Hollywood Reporter.
Jeffrey Abrams, the managing partner, is an entertainment, intellectual property and business litigator and outside general counsel, having practiced at international law firm of Katten Muchin & Zavis LLP, as in-house counsel at Universal Music, and as Vice President and General Counsel of Global Icons, a leading licensing agency. Mr. Abrams has been repeatedly listed as “Super Lawyers” by Southern California Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business.
Mr. Harder also serves as Editor and Co-Author of ENTERTAINMENT LAW & LITIGATION (LexisNexis 2011-2018 editions) (Matthew Bender). Many legal experts consider the book to be the definitive treatise on the subject and it is used as a basis for law school classes, including at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
Among other matters, some of Mr. Harder’s most prominent cases include:
- In 2017, Mr. Harder obtained a full retraction, apology and multi-million dollar settlement for the First Lady of the United States, Melania Trump, in a libel action against the Daily Mail.
- In 2016, Mr. Harder obtained a $140 million jury verdict for Terry Bollea aka Hulk Hogan, in a right of privacy action against Gawker Media.
- In 2011, Mr. Harder obtained an $18 million trial verdict, and defeated a $5 million counterclaim, on behalf of Cecchi Gori Pictures against a Hollywood producer who misappropriated valuable film rights.
- In 2010, Mr. Harder obtained a total defense verdict on behalf of Top 5 worldwide videogame publisher, UBISOFT, against an $11 million claim that proceeded simultaneously in international arbitration and the United States District Court.
- Mr. Abrams is a leading expert on celebrity estates and serves as outside general counsel to Brando Enterprises, L.P. (owner of the rights to the legendary Marlon Brando) and the Julia Child Foundation.
HARDER LLP has, for years, represented a long list of major celebrities and celebrity estates, working with their various professional representatives to protect their reputations, privacy, safety, IP and publicity rights (name and image) against a variety of violators including defamers, commercial infringers, impostors, aggressive paparazzi, stalkers, drone operators, cyberhackers, frauds, cheats and extortionists.
Our firm also represents corporate and business clients, both large and small, in the protection of their corporate reputations and brands, intellectual property rights, and confidential information and trade secrets.